but my husband's pretty awesome. We're not ones that like pretentious braggy type people, but I've got to brag about Dane for a moment. Bask in this moment Dane, you know it doesn't happen often :) While Dane doesn't think what he does is a big deal, I find it to be pretty amazing. He is a super busy guy, yet feels driven to contribute and be "part of the greater good." He goes out and helps those in need and does it without a second thought. I once had someone ask me if it scared me that Dane was a firefighter. I told them I wasn't scared necessarily of fires or some of the situations he's in, but that he scares me. And the reason for that is because I know that he would die trying to save someone else. I know that he would think of someone else long before he'd think of himself. Hence the reason he's a great firefighter, but scares me at the same time. I have told him though - think of the boys and your family. I hope this slight thought may keep himself safe while also trying to save others. I cannot even begin to imagine what the 343 families continue to go through with having lost a member of the FDNY. These guys were like Dane and without a second thought climbed into burning buildings. While others ran away, they headed straight for it. For the past 4 years (since the stair climb began), Dane goes out to the Qwest building and climbs the stairs twice (110 flights - the size of the World Trade Center) in full gear (which weighs about 100 pounds) to honor his fallen brothers. I know it is always a very somber morning for him but they do it to memorialize those that were lost. I know he will continue to do this year after year and he makes us proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment